Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Laughter...

When was the last time you laughed to yourself?
It happens to me quite often that I would be sitting in a cab or walking in a street on my own, remembering or imagining things and smiling about them. Sometimes a laugh pops out….which does feel a bit embarrassing, even though I tend not to care about that too much. If I saw myself in that situation, I would surely smile.
I never had troubles spending time on my own. Unless I got extremely lazy, I would always find something or some thought or dream to keep me company. Usually I sink so deep into whatever is occupying me that I become very aloof and even antisocial.
But laughter seems to be more of a social phenomenon, though a natural and often spontaneous reaction. How often does it happen that you laugh out loud when no other soul is physically around?
I could be reading a very funny book, or having a very funny conversation on the net; amusement would be showing all over my face, I imagine, and every now and then I might give out a laugh, but if the funny moments happened live in front of me, I would be laughing triple as much.
Usually, I laugh a lot—relatively speaking. And it's not like I'm laughing only because people are around!! So why don't I laugh just as much, when having fun on my own? Its that communicative factor of laughter, i guess. Never noticed it before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home